Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Liberty Sunday

Sunday, October 15th had the feel of Halloween in Boston. The Rightest of the Right came to the Tremont Street Baptist Church for "Liberty Sunday" to broadcast their national call to action against same-sex marriage, for it is here that those dang "activist judges" began the erosion of the cornerstone of civilized society: marriage.

I'd just had an exhausting, wild, fun-filled weekend with my family; Mom & Dad, Nik & Steve, Sue and I went to ptown for Women's Weekend. But we got back to Boston early enough so that I could go join "the vigil"/those protesting the vortex of evil that swirled into the Tremont Street Baptist Church. As the family still had an 8 hour minimum drive ahead of them, they trucked on home.

When I arrived, I was heartbroken by the size of the small crowd, as I thought I was late. I was there no more than 10 minutes, however, when the troops arrived and we had nearly 100 people there. ("Dozens" according to the Globe. There was at least a dozen from "our side" in FRONT of the church marching with signs... brushing elbows with those entering the church. That must have given them the heebegeebees, especially the guy carrying his toddler.)

I really just wanted to come home from Ptown and crawl in bed, watch tv and relax. I wanted to be refreshed for my week ahead. Instead, I went to protect my family and community from people who see my existance, my desire to be treated equally under the law, as a threat. I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to the broadcast. Our nefarious governor, Mitt Romney was there, I've read, pounding the pulpit like an Evangelist. He was introduced by his wife. Seems to me that they have nothing but contempt for the state that elected him governor. Kinda like people from Mass are just the gunk on the bottom of his shoe soles that he's trying to wipe off before he enters the (White) house (he hopes) . Seems to me he's lied his way to where he is, and I hope he's not successful in lying, cheating and stealing his way to the top, although, how would that be so different from what we've got now?

I'm keeping all fingers crossed for the upcoming Constitutional Convention. I'll be there, watching. Look me in the eye and tell me I'm undeserving of equal treatment under the law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home