Monday, July 07, 2008

Our trip to the Big City, Part II

Hey J&J~

Was gonna e you guys today to tell you we had a fantastic time in NYC. On Sat, we did just wander. We went to Brooklyn, Dumbo, and found Superfine restaurant. It was closed for lunch, but we thought it looked, well, super cool!

We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Our timing was impecable. The minute we stepped foot in Manhatten, it started to rain. So we hopped on a train and went to the East Village for a late lunch, around 2-ish. We ate at Counter, (you probably well-versed in these places) which was awesome. Despite the late hour, Sue had some brunch meal. I had a flight of wine that was yummi and a walnut lentil panini that was outstanding with handcut fries. Sue had a white Sangria, which neither of us had had before. Quite good. Oh, and the waitress was adorable.

We went back to the hotel, napped, showered and went back to Brooklyn to Superfine. Ummmm. I don't know what was going on, but man. We were treated like we were Madonna and Guy Ritchie. I don't think I have ever been fawned over like that before. I must have been having a really good hair day. When we left, the hostess even chased us out to make sure we knew how to get back to Manhatten. Superfine was Super Friendly, and we will DEF go back. We ate at these little stools above the bar, overlooking the whole restaurant. It was HIGHLY entertaining, and this way, the bartenders talked to us the whole time we were there. One was Lola, as in LolaRockNRolla, independent filmmaker. She described her work as "campy, John Waters-y type stuff." She was a riot, and now I'm really intrigued by her work. You know me and movies. This looks like stuff I would TOTALLY get a kick out of. Oh, and we bought Superfine tshirts. They have a blonde dreamily leaning out the driver's side window of a '80's Chevy Monte Carlo... VERY much like the one I grew up with!! Of course I had to have one (t).

Oh, and the food.... I have to say... we LOVED it. We split a warm endive salad with grilled calmari (YUM!!!). Sue had a grilled pizza with sage, coat cheese (I think) and proscuitto. I had the grilled pork chop (to DIE for) with garlic mashed and cole slaw. Unfortuneately for those arouind me, I live for garlic. :)

Then we went to Henrietta Hudson's. It wasn't as fun as usual. Seemed like no one was there at first, then it suddenly got really crowed, and it took a long time for people to start dancing. That happened at about the time we had to leave, as we had to get up early for....

SUPER SHUTTLE!!! Wow. After that ride, we're no longer afraid of the Fung Wah. OMG. We were the 2nd pick up out of 4. Do you remember me once commenting on having been on a simulator ride somewhere, of F-1 racecars? I said I'd been on more hair-raising cab rides thru Somerville? This was unbelievable. Speeding thru the city, cornering and not rolling over... it was unbelieveable. Flying out, well, in terms of speed, to the airport. We were in the wayback, in the seat that can accommodate 3. The seat to the far right, however, was completely crunched down. At one point, we were zipping along, BOUNCING BOUNCING BOUNCING, and I got the giggles. I said to Sue, "You know, this reminds me, it's been FOREVER since I've been horseback riding." She replied, "Well, at least we know now what happened to this seat," looking at the one to her right. I think there were several points where I was afraid for my life. Who knew we'd get a thrill ride in NYC, too, without having to venture to Cony Island!

It was fun.

We did want to kick ourselves, or Sue wanted to kick me, after we left and realized I didn't get any pics of you two and the pups!!! Duh. She even suggested we show up unannounced on Sat just to have a photo session. ;)

Next time. Really. I think we need to go back in the winter sometime so that I can do the museums then. For some reason, I can't get myself inside when the temp is above 70. Even if it's raining, but like I said, our timing was impecable!

And... we owe you!!! Sometime when you come to Boston... maybe we'll force you to a Sox game next summer. ;)

~m

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home