Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another Belizian memory

Keep telling everyone this story, so it should be on the blog, too!

After doing the zip line at the Jaguar Paw resort area, I needed to use the facilities and was delighted to find what looked like a swanky outhouse (electricity!), actually contained flush toilets! Onesies, not stalls!

I went in, did my business. When I went to pull my drawers back up, I looked down, and noticed not far from my left foot were two, stationary, very LARGE, hearty black spiders. My pants came up so quick I'm lucky I didn't get road rash on my bum, and that I got everything closed up before I shot out of the unit like a rocket.

I should mention that, you know, having spent, and LOVING, my summers at Girl Scout camp (Natarswi), I'm not squimish around spiders or insects for the most part. These ones I could have saddled and rode back to the coast, I think.

Once outside for about 10 seconds, I had several thoughts. The first was, "Dummy! You should have taken a photo! That'd be great for the ofoto!" Unfortunately, someone went in right after me so the opportunity was missed.

The next thought was this, "Michelle... you're in the middle of the rainforest. Why are you surprised that there were giant black spiders in the loo?!" The Mountain House at Natarswi always seemed like Mecca to a wide array of insects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home